View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2021, 10:41 am   #44
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Do you just dip in and play whatever takes your eye or have you a system to rotate them? Is there any that get forgotten about?
CDs here are shelved more or less alphabetically by artist, within a few very broad genres, and one day a few years ago, conscious that there were many I was never likely to hear again, I resolved to set aside an hour each evening for listening to one of them, starting at the beginning of the alphabet. I wasn't even close to reaching B before enthusiasm for continuing had died.

We must have something over a thousand CDs, and something like four thousand books. I'm sure there are a great many I'll not turn to again, the problem would be to know which they are, and it finds me thoroughly in the dark - there's hardly anything I've found rewarding to listen to in the last 50 years and don't now - so no clearout is in prospect. If I'd followed the prescription I recall hearing from one anti-clutter guru, of getting rid of whatever one doesn't use in the course of six months, I suspect there are plenty of CDs I'd have bought a dozen times by now.

Paul