View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2020, 7:46 pm   #6
_Cosmic_
Pentode

Default Re: Grundig Electrostatic Tweeter Repair Tutorial

This is the final stage; reassembly.

It's a little fiddly getting everything back together again but if you refer to your photos you can do it. Just make sure that your new foam installation presses onto the copper strip.

The strip lays down in position and the hole in the end makes contact with the lead terminal contact-ring along the top edge of the casing. I had to add a small metal washer to ensure it presses down hard enough. The strip often slips out of position when you are trying to close to two halves of the casing.

Closing up depends on how easy it was to prize open the casing in the first place. It might well now be loose, but rather than gluing it or re-melting the plastic (you might need to take it apart again) just screw the tweeter back in firmly to the board and it should be OK.

It's quite possible that after all this it still doesn't work! If it does you are lucky but the chances are that it wont.

DO NOT GIVE UP AT THIS STAGE.

Even after all the care and trouble I took, I had to take mine apart and reassemble a couple of times before the components seated in and began to perform perfectly. But it was well worth it. I now have two perfectly performing tweeters, and they really do make such a difference. I marvel at the clarity I am receiving when I play my old 45rpm singles. I have 4000 of them, and they badly needed an airing.

If you are following this thread and it helped you bring your radio or record player back to it's sparkling acoustical glory then I'm happy.

Have fun.. Cosmic Chris
Than treat yourself, you deserve it.

nb. It might well be that you don't have the white wadding but instead encounter decomposed foam inside the casing. Just replace it with fibre wadding or fresh foam. It might take a bit of trial and error and experimentation to source the material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201128_145022.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	222345  
_Cosmic_ is offline   Reply With Quote