View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2021, 8:09 pm   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Proper' DAB conversion for valve radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
With a pantry transmitter, you just have one channel accessible from the radio. If you want to tune around and explore other stations, the tuning control is in you pantry, on whatever is feeding audio to the little transmitter.

With the DAB converter, you can tune around and explore on the set itself. I think this will feel rather different to an observer than would having to nip off to another room to change the station.

On the other hand, one pantry transmitter could be used by a variety of sets, do each set in a display could be powered up in turn and demonstrated.

The German DAB converter is very clever, but it has fundamental differences with a pantry transmitter. The strengths and weaknesses don't directly compare.

David
Thanks for reading my post and and for you response David.

I can quite appreciate the 'tactile' appeal to some, of being able to tune DAB station by using the tuning knob on the radio and that's a point well made, but in terms of the range of listenable content, a 'pantry transmitter' can have inputs from DAB,FM, MP3 player, smartphone or whatever, so in that regard, a pantry transmitter has greater functionality. I have a mini-mod and FM/AM converter which sit alongside whichever radio I have in use, and they each perform really well. If I were minded to want to listen to DAB on an old set, I'd probably do so via a Bluetooth module, albeit that would use only the Audio stage of the radio - not the RF/IF stages, either via a changeover switch, or if present, a gram socket.

As I said earlier, I'm not detracting in any way from the technical ingenuity of the 'proper' DAB device, and I understand the fascination and admiration that members have expressed.

That said, I suspect that anyone other than ourselves, who may only a passing interest in seeing an old radio lit up with music coming from the speaker, will be unconcerned about the technicalities - just the functionality. Forum members who have visited National Trust premises may have often seen 1930/40s radios emitting music of same vintage as the radio, which is coming from an MP3 player concealed inside an otherwise empty cabinet. Rather ironic given the the NT is dedicated to restoration and conservation, but I guess it overcomes any safety issues that might otherwise arise.

I'm always a little dispirited that when we have visitors (pre lockdown), they rarely remark or express any interest in the Ekco A22 that I restored, but are fascinated by the little 4-tube nixie clock I made that sits alongside it. Mostly, they seem more impressed with the KB FB10 'Toasters' that were scrappers which I've restored and sprayed in bright non-original colours, which they refer to as 'cute, dinky, funky or cool'.