View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2021, 2:31 pm   #79
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The end of physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I also find making a "mix-tape" onto a CD is great for sharing with family. I'm particularly keen on avoiding non-original recordings, even when the re-make is by the original artist. One of the streaming services I subscribe to has way too many re-makes for my liking - it also has playback levels that are all over the place.
As for playback quality of e.g. MP3 - I agree with the above, for my own listening. I have very limited HF and have had tinitus for years. Still loving the music though!

Graham
I tend to be the other way round: I positively enjoy the whole remix-experience - specially when it involves an artist remixing something rather outside their usual repertoire [a rap-artist remixing Enya!]

Quite a bit of my digital-music collection is actually playlists consisting of the same track as remixed/sampled by 10 or so different artists in different styles.

I also like the whole thing where an artist releases half a dozen versions of a track: the original version (which is the one most people will know about) a dub remix, an extended remix, a vocal-trance remix, a dance remix, a chillout-remix etc. - and being able to search/listen online gets me access to all these variants (many of which have never been officially released in the UK on any kind of physical media).

"Reworked" music - classical performed on modern instruments - is another genre I'm particularly fond of. Wendy Carlos's version of Beethoven's Ninth, or Isao Tomita's version of the Firebird for example. I ponder what 'classical' composers would have been able to achieve if they'd not been constrained by instruments-of-their-era and had access to modern synthesizers, mixing-desks etc!

In terms of hearing the music on different media and the compromises involved, I have profound hearing-loss [something like 50dB down] below 300Hz as the result of an explosion - but my hearing is still good up to 18KHz. I like my treble-boost!