View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 5:11 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default How effective is an earth for reducing noise on AM?

Some forum member may recall how a couple of years ago I installed a long line AM aerial from next door's house to mine. It's as high as the chimney pots and impressively long. Anyway, although I kinda tried it out back then, it's only now that I've been trying to use it in earnest. Hmm, the darned grinding AM interference just seems to get everywhere. Yes, due to the nice big aerial the actual signal level is high, but the dreaded, grinding background noise is a major problem. I've tried switching stuff off and using a portable trannie to home in on the source but it just seems to be everywhere.

Just a thought and a question. I have a nice copper earth just outside the house that is connected to my mains board. I haven't tried it yet, but would/should connecting the earth connection part of the 'AE' socket on my receiver (a Tandberg Huldra 12) to the mains plug earth pin via a separate wire help with noise reduction? Yes, I will try it in due course, I just wondered what our experts thought. The mains is presently two wire.