View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2021, 10:10 pm   #30
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Re: Why did Leeds get the 0532 dialling code ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I remember the phone books used to have a guide to international dialling, with descriptions of what tones to expect to here & other useful information like regional dialling codes, time differences & different working weeks.

Also my Dad had a diary with a list of international dialling codes before they were standardised, with a note symbol if you needed to hear a tone before completing the number.
The phone book did used to have a comprehensive listing of international dialling codes including the type of ringing/engaged tones in use etc for each country. However, this seemed slightly unnecessary as I think anyone can tell when a phone is ringing out or not even if the ring is different e.g. a single ringtone (instead of double ringtone as the UK uses).

Also countries change their tones also sometimes e.g. Cyprus used to have a double ringtone in the 1970s certainly, and now has a single ringtone.

And with the advent of mobile telephony I have found you can receive different tones, e.g. when ringing my brother's mobile which is a Germany number starting with 0049 I have sometimes received the British type double ring instead of the German style ringing tone.