View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2021, 4:22 pm   #266
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: I found it! A very sorry looking MK14.

For absolute originality I suggest an original machine really does have to have 2 * DM74S571 fitted or at least available to be fitted because SOC never, to my knowledge, supplied alternatives. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a pair of the cooler running types in whenever the machine is allowed off the leash, but if it ever comes to the day when the machine has to be sold on or given to a museum, there should really be a pair of DMs waiting to be put in it.

My MK14 was heavily used for several years and for most of that time it had the SOC supplied New-OS DM74S571s that it still has now, so although they do run very hot, somehow, generally, they keep working (...usually. One of Buzby's original SOC supplied PROMs failed after maybe 12-15 hours of use after decades of inactivity).

Mark's issue VI has N82S131Ns in it, I would be interested to know if they appear to him to run any cooler than the DM74S571s in his original issue IV. They still run quite warm, but to my mind not as hot as the DMs.