View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 7:27 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Peto Scott Transistor Portable Radio

I was recently looking at a couple of Peto Scott Reel to Reel tape recorders on auction and also saw a little Peto Scott transistor radio that caught my eye.

It caught my eye because it looks extremely similar, almost identical to a radio my parents had and I used it a lot in the 1960's to record music from, using my Grundig TK 23 tape recorder (actually not mine but permanently on loan from my father).

Cannot remember what make my parents radio was, but it would have been an inexpensive common make, definitely was not a Peto Scott. I guess many inexpensive transistor radios around that time were very similar looking. Even internally it looks exactly the same as I remember.

Thought it would be a bit of nostalgic fun to play with the radio, so bid £4.95 (min bid price) and was surprised that I won the auction with that.

There is no obvious model number but the only Peto Scott transistor radio I can easily find details on, is the RA73, which looks to be extremely similar if not the same. The data sheet shows it powered from a Ever Ready PP11 battery (2 x 4.5 volts) to give 9 volts to mains electronics and 4.5 volts to one side of the speaker which is driven by a push pull output stage.

Looking inside it has been modified with 2 lots of C size battery holders but this would only give 6 volts max so not sure yet how this is connected up.

So first will check out exactly how the batteries are wired, then get four C size batteries and see what happens, would be nice if it burst into life without any work. Of course not expecting much (in terms of quality/performance) from a 6 transistor MW/LW transistor portable radio.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_180658477.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	218704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_180719632.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	218705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_180921142.jpg