View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 10:12 am   #30
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Mend it Mark' YouTube Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
I was less impressed to see him butchering a Walkman...
Neither was Mark! At the end of the video, he says:

Quote!

'Mistakes were made. First mistake was leaving the batteries in causing corrosion.
Second mistake was mine - how I went about fixing it & caused myself a lot of grief - hours were spent'.

Unquote.

I'd say that his first mistake was actually to take on a job on a 27-yr old 'Walkman' that was beyond economic repair due to quite extensive corrosion on the mechanism, which wasn't meant to be dismantled, on an item which - in working order - would struggle to sell in a charity shop for a fiver. (The charity shops in our village no longer accept cassettes, VHS tapes, or CDs).

I was impressed with how much he'd deduced about how the electronics worked.

And I'm especially impressed both with his extensive and broad ranging experience and expertise, and above all his superb camerawork and video editing. About the only person I can think of on Youtube I can bring to mind whose videos are produced to that high standard is Chris Ramsay in Australia.

Chris's channel, (which isn't about electronics, but clockmaking and model engineering), is called Clickspring'. He works almost exclusively in brass, makes many of his own tools, and though not for discussion on here, there will be some forum members who might find his construction of a Skeleton Clock from start to finish of interest. (It includes etching the clockface numerals with ferric chloride). Quite a guy.

Part 1 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y146v8HxE

I look forward to many more videos from Mend it Mark as a tranquil refuge from football and snooker on TV.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote