View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2021, 10:56 pm   #32
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: US GE Clock 60Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMarris View Post
So I went ahead and purchased one of the suggested voltage/frequency converters to run my American AC clock in the UK. It works beautifully in terms of running the clock, which is keeping perfect time.

However, the clock is in a ham radio shack and the "system" (converter plus clock) is generating considerable RFI on the ham bands. I have tried several things, including putting the converter in another room and running a cord to the clock, but that made no difference. I also tried placing ferrite beads on the cords, but that also made no difference.

I attach a photo of the clock below (bog standard American GE from the 1950s). Does anyone know how feasible it might be to remove the mechanism and replace it with a battery mechanism, thus eliminating the risk of RFI altogether? If so, any suggestions for the best "donor clock" to cannibalize from?

The clock is a "glow in the dark" model (constant very low level lighting from a bulb inside) but, in the event of conversion to battery power, I don't mind losing that feature in the interest of longer battery life.

By the way, in the photo, the clock is literally on top of my radio receiver, just to make a nice picture. During the RFI tests, the clock was not in that position, but was actually about a foot away on the table to the left.

Thanks!
It's unfortunate that the frequency convertor creates that much RFI, after spending that much to find out! The modified sine wave supplies can't be used on an AM radio. It's alright on FM and running a CRT TV.
A fellow collector uses one to power a CRT tester when buying a set at an outdoor swapmeet where AC power is not readily available.
Dave, USradcoll1