View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2021, 1:48 pm   #19
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Default Re: US GE Clock 60Hz

I've obtained the donor clock, a Seiko. It will be a good fit to go inside the original GE case.

However, the holes on the hands of the donor clock are smaller than the original hands and I need to mount the original hands on the new movement.

See photo.

What is the best approach?
  • Try to find bushings the fill the gaps (tricky because they would need to be very thin). If this is viable, what is a good source for these bushings?
  • Cut the hands and glue the old ones onto the stump of the new ones (the old hands are metal, the new ones are plastic). Probably doable, possibly fragile, possiby ugly if not done really carefully leaving a minimum of stump from the new hands? Also, a couple of the old hands protrude on both sides of the shaft, and I would have to use only one side, thus changing the appearance of these vintage hands.

I have measured the thickness of the hands with a micrometer: the old hands are only 0.4mm while the ones on the donor clock are 0.7mm. This is good, it means that the old hands will fit on the new movement without jamming each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock Hands.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	236883