View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2021, 4:53 pm   #10
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Default Re: US GE Clock 60Hz

So I went ahead and purchased one of the suggested voltage/frequency converters to run my American AC clock in the UK. It works beautifully in terms of running the clock, which is keeping perfect time.

However, the clock is in a ham radio shack and the "system" (converter plus clock) is generating considerable RFI on the ham bands. I have tried several things, including putting the converter in another room and running a cord to the clock, but that made no difference. I also tried placing ferrite beads on the cords, but that also made no difference.

I attach a photo of the clock below (bog standard American GE from the 1950s). Does anyone know how feasible it might be to remove the mechanism and replace it with a battery mechanism, thus eliminating the risk of RFI altogether? If so, any suggestions for the best "donor clock" to cannibalize from?

The clock is a "glow in the dark" model (constant very low level lighting from a bulb inside) but, in the event of conversion to battery power, I don't mind losing that feature in the interest of longer battery life.

By the way, in the photo, the clock is literally on top of my radio receiver, just to make a nice picture. During the RFI tests, the clock was not in that position, but was actually about a foot away on the table to the left.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	236361