View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2021, 12:37 pm   #1
Damo666
Hexode

Default President Lincoln SWR issue "only" when meter inline.

Hi guys,

Real strange issue this one, and something I spent a few hours exploring yesterday without success.

I recently installed a Sirio 1/2 wave vertical antenna a few days ago, and the SWR is under 1.1:1 > 1.3:1 for the range of frequencies I use. As you'll probably be aware, this is a good SWR range.

On all my CB rigs, the SWR is showing the aforementioned readings with the SWR/Power meter inline, however, with my President Lincoln Mk1, when I fit an inline SWR meter, the SWR goes sky high into the red.

Without a meter fitted inline, SWR readings correspond with readings taken on all other rigs. I know this, as the Lincoln has got an inbuilt SWR test function.

I've found that altering the length of the patch lead to the meter changes the SWR, and here are some approximate readings. Again, this only happens with the Lincoln; ~8" lead - 5.0:1, ~18" lead - 3.5:1, ~5ft lead - 2.5:1

Increasing the Lincoln RF output power also reduces the SWR considerably.

I could use the Lincoln without an external SWR/Power meter fitted so see "correct" readings, but I like to have a SWR/Power cross needle meter permanently inline.

By the way, I've done this test with 2 different SWR meters, and the results are still the same.

Can anybody please shed some light on this odd issue?