View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2021, 8:23 pm   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Crompton 60W bulb

I used to sell a lot of them! With the fires that used two bulbs the old girls used to come in the shop and ask why they both failed together. I used to explain that one probably failed weeks ago and you had not noticed. They never believed me.

The two prong fireglow lamps are pre war Berry's magicoal. The post war Berry's is the 3 pin bayonet. Most fires including the Belling employed the standard BC base.

They are single coil 60W types. Maybe Berry's used the 3 pin type to restrict guys from putting in just any old coloured lamp, spoiling the effect or maybe just to charge a bit more for the 'special' lamp. They did not get any hotter than a standard 60W lamp.

When I was first in the trade you could buy stained red glass lamps but they were twice the price of the standard lacquered type that cost 2/6d around 1964. Older people appeared to have a fetish about light bulbs often asking for strange types, finishes, and colours. I stocked the lot! They often called them globes and I had one lovely old dear that called them 'electric mantles'.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireglow (1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	232684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireglow (2).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	232685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow .jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	232698  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 26th Apr 2021 at 8:45 pm.