View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 11:20 am   #119
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Hmm, interesting stuff Craig, I've learned from that. Just one point, wrt your very high capacitance speaker cables, how does that work when you are effectively putting that 'very high capacitor' in parallel with the speakers' crossover unit? it must screw things up terribly surely? In particular, a reduction of the high frequency content of the audio signal reaching the speaker/crossover.

Also, you mention that mains cables need careful consideration but you do not provide an answer as to what you think does work/is good, only what won't work. Thanks.
Speaker cables of such construction are a double edged sword, because some amplifiers object to an almost perfectly capacitive loading. Typically 500pF/m but only 100nH/m inductance..

But it does not impact the crossover at all provided the amplifier is unconditionally stable.

I specifically did not mention mains cable types; I have to declare an interest, since a range of EMC attenuating cables of my design is on the market on a royalty basis for prices that would make your eyes water.

I hesitate to mention a good alternative that sounds great, but is dirt cheap. I did on another forum and was excoriated so completely and repeatedly on the basis of safety that I quit the forum. So I remain stum on that - sorry.
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote