View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 1:01 pm   #1
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Coughtrie light, stuck glass!

I’ve just recently got my mits on 2 more Coughtrie corner lights, an SW10, and an SG6. For once the SW10 didn’t put up a fight and the screws for the glass securing ring came out in perfect order, but the SG6 is another story, it has a nice shaped glass that just screws into the aluminium top, but it’s stuck fast, my guess is water got in around the seal and it just corroded over the years. I’d love to be able to use this light, and at the moment there is a smashed bulb rattling around inside it.

So far my efforts have been copious amounts of WD40, and heating it with a hot air gun as hot as I dare, sticking the swan neck in a vice and gripping the glass with rubber gloves and trying to rotate it, and so far it’s not budged even a tiny bit! I tried soaking it in vinegar overnight, that did nothing, trying to rock the glass back and forth has also produced no results! So I’m open to ideas, preferably not involving a hammer... I’d like to get it apart intact, or at least keeping the glass intact, as that bits harder to replace.

I did think of maybe stuffing it in the ultrasonic cleaner with some sand, but the sand would probably just deaden the ultrasonic waves..

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D73ACB1E-DCB9-4073-9D87-66AFAFB05819.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	238690