View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2007, 12:07 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Humour in the TV trade.

About 1971 I was doing huge numbers of house calls and worked until late most days of the year.
Its odd how certain incidents remain in your brain all your life and the following is one of them. I was redelivering a Sobell 1018 style dual standard black and white set to a rather fussy couple who lived on a typical 1930's surburban estate. It had grass verges around 6ft wide between the curb and pavement.
It was a very misty winter evening and the street lighting was very poor as it often was in those days. I pulled up in my Austin 1100 with the set and its push on metal legs in the back. I lifted the set out and placed it on its end on the grass verge and putting the legs under my arm, picked the set up and make my way along the path, knocked on the door.
I was met by the delighted customer [that did not last long...] and wiping my feet, made my way along the hallway and into the back sitting room. I placed the set on its end, on the carpet as I had done outside and it was at this point to my total horror I realized that I had managed to walk in 'something' from outside.........
If only! When getting the set out of the car I had managed to place the set directly into what doggies do on roadside verges..Not only that I had managed to walk in it and get it all over my jacket and the metal legs....
The aroma can only be described as horrific! It was all over the hall and living room carpet, the television, the legs and me. The lady of the house was mortified and bowls of hot water, Dettol and cloths were produced in an attempt to scrub, wipe and clean the muck away.
It was an accident of course but it was terrible at the time but seems quite humerous now all these years on. I can even remember the actual address and pass it now and again on my travels. Regards John. P.S. I did get paid!