View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 7:03 pm   #123
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Pitlake radio [Jim], Harris Better Radio both at Pitlake Croydon now buried under the Croydon flyover. Harverson Surplus once on the corner of Pincott Road South Wimbledon, then demolished and moved to the other side of the road where they remained until the 1980's. Dozens of skips piled high with all manner of gear, cleared the three storey building after closure.

Smith Bros in Merton High Street [Mr and Mrs Radio] very early HMV shop. Raynes Park Radio. [fantastic shed at rear filled with first generation part exchanges] where I was allowed to clear their old tot as a kid but not allowed to have an Ekco TSC113 because I might kill myself with it. [12kv mains EHT].

Tele Radio, Wimbledon Broadway. Millbanks, St Georges Road Hanworth. [DC mains] A.P. Electricals, York Road Battersea and Raynes Park. [DC mains at Battersea]

D & B Television, Kingston Road South Wimbledon. [where I worked from age 12..]

Arthurs radio I mentioned earlier. The Triangle, Merton Park. KB dealers with model of the Queen Mary in the window. Remo Radio [R.E. Mogg] GEC and Ultra dealers. Kingston Road, Merton Park. ROBERTS of Balham. [ROBERTS for Ekcovision neon sign above large shop front].

Watts Radio, Apple Market, Kingston-Upon-Thames. [Very well known]
Brathways, Merton Road, Southfields. [an old mate]

Beam Radio. Morden Surrey. [Popular local radio shop] North Wimbledon Electric. In Wimbledon village. [Sold pre war TV to well heeled customers].

Maxwells. A few very posh shops in wealthy areas. Not for the unwashed. [Wimbledon Hill] Originally musical instruments, then gramophones, radio and pre war HMV TV stockists. Clubman Radio. Merton High Street. [Absolute dump! Oh the stories I could recall!]

P.King Electrical. Coombe Road New Malden and Hartfield Crescent Wimbledon. [Typical nice radio shops with good customer base] The list goes on, just memories of Happy days!

John.