Thread: Bodges
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 10:57 am   #139
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Bodges

The reason more modern versions of the spider/octopus wiring system is becoming more popular again and making a comeback is due to a lot of LED lighting now not physically accepting the amount of cabling at the fitting for the 3-plate system (loop in/out).
In the office refit I mentioned up thread, the lights were mainly 600X600 Led lighting tiles and their driver connections were really only safely capable of accepting a single feed wire, also in the mix was how the lighting was arranged in different blocks/areas in each office, there were also PIR occupancy sensors at various points as well as a last man switch in some of them, it was all part of the spec including energy saving measures.

The easiest way to connect all of this up was to use a large electrically central lighting JB complete with Din rail terminals for all of the commons and various switched feeds, we made a really neat job of it too.

Anyone who has tried to fit a modern B&Q light in place of an existing original fitting will know what I mean
Incidentally the Niceic were also encouraging us to loop the N at the switches on new re-wires for this same reason.

Last edited by Red to black; 6th Sep 2020 at 11:08 am.