Thread: Bodges
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 2:49 pm   #78
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Bodges

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_ell View Post
...there is a constant trickle of knowledge-less people bodging cable repair or rewiring wrongly ('brown is the colour of earth isn't it') and coming to grief.
That was certainly the assumption made by whoever had wired the plug onto an electric drill I bought in the local household auction a few years ago. Blue wired to neutral as it should be, but brown to earth and nothing to line. The best of it was that it came with a PAT label attached by the auction house - presumably because their idea of a Portable Appliance Test is to plug the item into the tester (without switching the item on) and check that it doesn't give a "fail" reading.

Had the test been done properly (which includes inspecting that the plug is wired correctly and with an appropriate fuse, as well as using the tester in a rather more thorough manner) it would have been a fail and a fail. Fortunately, the lack of proper testing was to my advantage, given that it gave me some years of faithful service once I had corrected the plug wiring after being disappointed that it didn't work when I first plugged it in on getting it home.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 2nd Sep 2020 at 2:54 pm. Reason: A record - six further posts while I was composing mine!