View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 9:31 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Strange plugs & sockets at Lewis's Liverpool

Hi All,
When I was a kid my mum occasionally took me to Lewis's department store in Liverpool. I used to marvel at the escalators and it was the first time I saw a security closed circuit television camera. However, what stuck in my mind was that they seemed to have a type of mains socket I've never seen before or since. There were two twin gang sockets at the foot of every stone effect column and some in the ceiling too. The socket itself was a round pin affair with the earth pin much nearer the centre line than the usual BS546 sockets and I think it was the same size as the current carrying pins. The sockets were a circular bakelite insert about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter on a metal oblong plate. They weren't Wylex or D&S but something quite different. The last time I visited Lewis's a lot of them had been changed to standard 13amp sockets.
It's sad, I know, but when it came to plugs & sockets I was quite observant as a ten year old . Maybe a forum member was an electrician for Lewis's and has one in his or her bitbox
Cheers de Pete