View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2020, 2:55 pm   #25
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

It's an interesting general point. From an architectural perspective, the great interest for me is when a basically good-quality building has been adjusted and altered to fit different generations' needs over many years. The best of our national buildings demonstrate this. The problems happen either when groups like the National Trust get involved, and the buildings become museums, stuck in a particular time and dead as far as architecture's concerned, or they get flattened and replaced with noddy boxes. The latter because of advances in technology means it's far easier for a grim company to demolish rather than sensitively alter.

In radio terms, the former is the restoration to original spec., and the latter is the 'use radio chassis as lamp' crowd. I like something in between, as I'm not a museum, but I approach the projects as I'd approach a building. Keep the good bits and make sure it's useful and joyous for the current generation, without destroying what made it good in the first place.

I have an R1155 that has probably been messed around thoroughly by my grandfather, so I'll have to restore it to a state that's of some use to me now. On the subject of DF stages, is this part of a DF/rangefinding apparatus (attached)? It was with the R1155 in his loft...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R0015158.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	219910