View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2020, 11:20 am   #24
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

All good stuff David, as always. I wouldn't deny for a minute that the history you cite is an important part of the UK's story post war. And indeed many of us actually lived through some of that, and benefited from that war surplus "bonanza" you describe. I myself just caught the tail end of it from 1968 onwards - when shops like GWM Radio in Worthing were still going strong, with giant "Les" sitting rather forbidingly in the corner waiting to pronounce on the price of the latest prized item salvaged from the assorted junk on his shelves. Was it going to be within pocket money limits - or not

However, what I am referring to in my post that you responded to, was the original history of sets like the R1155, which I will still contend is far less well known and less well understood, since most of us didn't fly in RAF planes during WWII, and have never had to DF anything in anger!

And that's for a very well known set like the R1155. It gets far more obscure and murky for things like GEE, GEE-H, H2S and other bits of electronics, that were equally bought up as "electronic junk" post war to be pulled apart for bits. Very little knowledge of those items, their original purpose and the way they worked now survives, even among those potentially capable of understanding it, such as people lurking on this esteemed forum! And many of those represent world beating advances in electronics - while the R1155/T1154 was a very run-of-the-mill, turn it quick device of rather limited technical merit.

Richard