View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2020, 3:49 pm   #39
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: ATU vs. Preamp vs. Active Antenna

Last point first; no I haven't listened to any BC stations as I only have my ham-bands only rig in the shack at the moment. I'll see if I can find time to extract something else from the wardrobes.

My understanding about the loop is that it is good if it exhibits very low inductance. My current loop comes in at 4-5uH, but some suggest the target should be about 1uH. But then we need to address unshielded loops v shielded loops and non-resonant loops v resonant loops, and so on.

Here's the interesting thing; for sure, magloop aerials really do work and Wellbrook have sold lots of them at over £300 with no complaints about performance. But, here's the BUT...you can read tons of stuff on the net about how to make a good magloop, but it seems to me that there is a lot of contradictory info out there, and that suggests that much of it is unreliable.

I understand that Wellbrook are now selling a new aerial, improved from their original, and various other manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon, so Wellbrook will need to work hard to stay at the front.

I'm really distracted by other "non-radio" stuff at this time of year, but I'll no doubt get back to this seriously when the days are cooler and shorter!

B