View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2020, 12:32 pm   #36
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: ATU vs. Preamp vs. Active Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I assume you are referring to a Wellgood clone about to be revived with 2N3866? Remember that the two transistors should be matched for gain and then balanced when installed to take equal current. Although the board is intended to to take 12V (and around 120mA) I find that it begins to work at about 3V, and certainly shows no advantage above ~5V, at which point the current is appreciably lower and the 3866 appreciably cooler. They will need heatsinks if run at 12V.
No, it is not a Wellgood clone. It is an old Mag Loop Preamp made in Germany commercially. It is so scarce in information that no schematic or manual is found in anywhere. Even the mighty Google doesn't know about it.

I think the company is called REFCOM, and had been in business for some time many year ago, but went bankrupt or disappeared. Couldn't even find anything about the company.

This old set looks well made, but not functional due to possible problem with the power supply.
I was thinking of ripping out the faulty psu, and make it work from batteries of 12V, but yes I think it would even work from much lower voltage.

And also try replacing the original transistor with this Wellgood transistor David sent me.
Because all the infrastructure is there on the pcb, it would be interesting to see how it would perform if ever, rather than trying to build a Wellgood from scratch.