View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 11:02 pm   #12
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Rogers Ravensbrook series2 amp. Before attempting a capacitor replacement.

Thanks Simon.
I swapped out the entire electrolytic contingent, only mildly fiddly.
There were some very low working voltages but I made do with as near as I could get. There were a couple of 220uF at 3V specced! there was a 200 at 6V on the board and I only had 220uF at 63V so I found some 100 x 16V lurking in the stock, basically paralleled them up to make a pair of 200uF. Not ideal but it works. I figure the others will form ok and last me out.
But the end result was, I think, remarkable. It could be psychological of course, and I wouldn't deny anyone suggesting it, but I am sure the sound has opened out and sounds quite "modern" whereas it was a bit "fluffy" and rolled off previously.
All things considered it's a very pleasant thing and if 10W is enough for you (it is for me in a smallish room) it works very well with more up to date turntable and cartridges and didn't shame itself fed CD from a very good player. The more recent disc stages I own will better it, but that's not to denigrate what to me is a creditable performance.
I hope my old Dad can appreciate it when he gets it back next week on his 90th birthday. I shall slot it in between the PL12D and Wharfedale Dentons for a nostalgic experience.

Andy.