View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2020, 9:36 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: "I never got it to work", the story of a £15 PRC320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
A courageous man indeed.
In the days when I needed-to-work, I was the guy to who the 1st/2md/4rd/4th-level techs handed the "this problem is truly insoluble!" jobs.

And was happy to fold the problem back on them, pointing-out the signs and symptoms they'd missed, and - sometimes - after a walkthrough - offering them the opportunity to put their name rather than mine on the problem-resolution ticket.

"You've not failed to diagnose the problem, you've just not been provided with sufficient information or understanding".

I was always happy to see my techies go on to bigger and better things. And the juniors understood that if they approached me with a _real_ problem (rather than wanting me to fix things for them so they could slope-off early on a friday) I'd help them to understand their problem and guide them towards a solution in a way that made it a teaching-experience.

[only one exception to this: when I fired an entire software-development team because they refused to provide me with their code so I could do a line-by-line walkthrough. Part of mme thinks that by doing this I may have prevented a significant aviation-disaster]