View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 11:13 pm   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: 3D Printing a Philips N1500/N1700 Player

For the exact dimensions of the micro world (that was how it was called in the later VCC machines) you would need either a donor machine and a micrometer, or the original plans that are not in the service manuals and probably scrapped around 2002 when the Vienna factory closed down (or possibly even years before that).

In any case, it doesn't make sense to me when you have the choice between re-engineering a few parts that break down too often or re-engineering the whole thing, you would choose to do the latter. I agree the number of machines far outwheigh the number of people who want to keep one running (which will get even lower over the years). The owners of such machines that I know, invariably own between 3 and 20 machines each and often numerous spare parts as well.

Video heads would be a problem as well, I would say conceptually the biggest problem a.k.a. showstopper. Why engineer a new machine that will run out of original spare heads while running out of original parts was the reason to engineer something new in the first place?

Also, you would need subtractive techniques (machining) in addition to additive techniques (printing) to manufacture it.

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:20 pm.