View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 11:57 am   #262
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler
I'm disappointed in people who are convinced they can hear something very special but aren't driven to investigate it
In almost all cases they are incapable of investigating it because they know almost no physics. Of course, if they knew any physics they would know that a short audio cable cannot be directional so they would then be able to investigate why it appears to be directional.

I am currently in discussion with someone on another forum who, it has turned out, sells 'directional' cables. I suggested that he studies undergraduate physics in order to understand how wires actually work. His response was that this does not answer his questions, that it does not go deep enough, and Maxwell's equations are "old tech".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk
A friend, teaching medical students at the local hospital, often is asked "teach us what we need to know to pass the exams". This attitude exists also amongst electricians when I used to teach City& Guilds - "what's the least we have to do to pass?". I'm happy to infer that this expectation will prevail in other disciplines.
Yes. About 10 years ago I was demonstrating in undergraduate EE labs. A common question after obtaining a result was "Is that the right answer?". My usual response was "If that is the number you obtained from your apparatus, then for you that is the right answer.".

A few years earlier I was doing an MSc. A few weeks before the exams we had lots of revision lectures, in which we were reminded what had been taught in each module. In some cases these seemed to sail somewhat too close to dropping hints about what questions we might be asked. I don't recall such lectures even taking place 30 years earlier when I was an undergraduate; we were expected to do our own revision from our own lecture notes.

Can I thank the forum moderators for allowing this thread to continue so we can all let off some steam?
G8HQP Dave is offline   Reply With Quote