Thread: Rank Cintel TK
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2020, 9:43 am   #28

Default Re: Rank Cintel TK

Could be wrong here, but I thought the first Rank Cintel to have side by side reels was the mkIII ('hopping patch'). A lot of the monitors in the TK section of that video are showing vertically stretched pics on a still (i.e. twin lens), which I would have thought meant they were coming off a mkII. There are a few shots of a mkIII around 4' in that video, but as far as I can remember Television Centre was a late adopter of the mkIII and most of theirs were either mk I or II.
Someone asked (Glyn, I think) how late TK was used for live TX - I worked in Cardiff and we were certainly transmitting live as a single machine or duplex pairs well into the early to mid 80's. I've transmitted many episodes of Star Trek and Dallas (or was it Dynasty) from the machine BBC Wales sold off from their old site.
News was also transmitted live from TK as A/B roll and a single machine in Bangor up to about the miners strike in 1984. Not a happy memory as they used to mix neg and reversal in the same reel - a real challenge to 'Tarif'.
From round about 1984/5 news had moved to Hi Band U-matic and TK was used pretty much for transfer/archive.