Thread: TV repair shops
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2019, 10:15 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: TV repair shops

Quote:
Then around 2003, things started to go downhill. Supermarkets were selling VCRs for under £40 and DVD players for under £25, while many people wanted to buy the then new flat screen TVs. ASDA started to give a free three year guarantee on electrical products, simply refunding customers if the item went wrong. The result of all this was that fewer people wanted their TVs and VCRs repairing.
I worked for a small TV repair firm in the first half of the 80's, but left in 1986 when I moved to Sussex.
There were many small shops back then, one of which I did casual repairs for.
Fast forward 33 years and they are all long gone, in fact there is only one still in business locally.
I got a job in industrial electronics, and that saw me through to early retirement.

As you say, TV's are now a throw away item, along with most other domestic electronics.
I still do repairs, but there is no money in it now.

I really enjoy repair & restoration of vintage sets, all hand made in an era where quality mattered and the sets were designed to be repaired.
I can not imagine anyone being able to restore electronics from this era in forty years time.

Mark