View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2020, 4:04 am   #83
Pete_1966
Triode

Default Re: Ridiculous thoughts and ideas from a young age

When I was 6, back in 1972, we moved into our new house that Dad built; - even at that early age, I remember the Wylex breaker box (which now had the push-button MCB's as opposed to the old BS 3036 re-wireable fuses). This was a modern unit back then in an Ireland that still used DZ-2 and NDZ cartridge fuses. These Wylex consumer units were very common in England - indeed, I was proud to display my 'geeky' knowledge to my wife; while watching one of the excellent 'Endeavour' Morse episodes, I paused the DVD just to point out to her the Wylex fusebox in Inspector Fred Thursday's entrance hall! I remember to this day trying to light a 3v torch bulb off an exposed choc block connector in a bedroom where a strip light was to be installed - the bright flash, loud bang and the blackened bulb did not frighten me, only the thought of what to explain to my parents as to why the house lights were not working, thanks to the white coloured 5 amp Wylex button dropping out!! Dad reset it and the house lights came back on but the truth was never known!