View Single Post
Old 11th May 2014, 3:15 pm   #12
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Default Re: Dating your projects

Hello all.
I think dating stuff is a good idea.I do it to my stuff and in fact I have a dedicated book to record details and give each item a sequence number that follows it through my maintenance records.
I am ex Army and I guess it followed me into my life in the real world.

One time I was in a very bad place on active duty and came across some radio gear in a downed helicopter. I grabbed it (under somewhat difficult circumstances) and checked it over and put it to good use in my job as a radio mech. Some time later we were sent home to Australia and I made sure all of the radio stuff was firmly secured in my vehicle before it left the war zone. When I inspected the vehicle here in Australia, all of my radio stuff was missing and nobody knew anything about it. I made lots of enquiries but to no avail.
Turn the clock forward about 40 years and I am at the Wyong Amateur Radio Field Day on the Central Coast area of New South Wales. Car boot sale and a gentleman is selling the proceeds of a workshop cleanout. I spotted 2 bits of radio kit (American Military radios, R442 receiver, 30 to 75.95Mhz FM)the same as the ones I had so long ago. I bought them, took them home and a month later swung one of them up on to the workbench. It was one of the radios I had that went missing and I knew this by my sequence number scratched into the mainframe on the inside.

How about that?

I contacted the seller but he knew nothing about them. He was selling some stuff from a deceased estate for the widow.
I wish it could tell me where it has been for so long.

Cheers, Robert.