View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 1:49 pm   #87
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
You seem to be saying that your reduced upper frequency hearing capability is something that can't, or more to the point, shouldn't (!) be 'fixed'. I have a test CD (Hifi News & record Review) that has test tone frequencies on it, and anything above 10k I struggle with. It's proof (if I needed it) that my upper hearing range has degenerated. The fix is simple, I just boost the treble control a tad until I can hear those frequencies once again. It's not rocket science, it doesn't have to be 'correct' to the dB, just enough to make the music sound nice again.
I neither said that it can't or that it shouldn't be altered. But it is true that folks who want their hi-fi to do what it says on the tin (reproduce with high fidelity) wouldn't approve of altering the signal in any respect (other than amplitude, and the Fletcher-Munson curves mean that serious listeners take a position on that too). These days with digital signal processing it is possible to do a lot better than just boosting the treble control a tad. A good friend of mine has hearing aids which have been programmed, as far as possible, to restore his detailed hearing sensitivity to that of a much younger person. He's delighted with them - mostly, he says, because he can now distinguish birdsongs again when he's out on a country walk . They mean he doesn't need tone controls on his hi-fi either, although personally I approve of them if there's nothing better for getting the hi-fi-plus-room behaviour closer to optimum.

There is something better of course. I've just acquired one of these https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...minidsp-2x4-hd along with its matching calibrated mic. All I need to get now is that rarest of things - a round tuit !

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 12th Oct 2017 at 2:16 pm.
GrimJosef is offline   Reply With Quote