View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:31 am   #84
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

There are actually some really good spin offs from the Audiophile industry.

Although original brand audio tubes have gone up in price, which is really annoying for those restoring vintage gear and trying to make it period correct, there were not enough valves to satisfy demand. As a result a number of valve making factories have cropped up worldwide, that otherwise never would have. Some of the products are actually pretty good.

For example a while back I bought some new manufacture Tung Sol 6L6G's and some Ruby brand 5U4G rectifiers, and after subjecting them to a number of scientific tests in my lab, I was delighted to find they are every bit as good as RCA's original parts. Not only that the prices were very reasonable, unlike the originals.

Also some good quality high voltage electrolytics and non electrolytic caps have been made recently too.

So maybe like many things, there could be a silver lining to the Phoolery.

It has created a renewable valve resource.

If only the same thing could happen with CRT's. Hmm.. I'm sure I read somewhere that if you wire a monochrome CRT gun up as a triode amplifier it gives an amazingly clear picture of the sound, sort of bringing it into focus and illuminating it with a P4 moonlight like sound color.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote