View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2021, 1:08 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Which signal generator?

First off, these things are usually referred to as function generators rather than signal generators.

Their oscillators make square waves and triangle waves primarily. They distort the triangle waves with diode-resistor networks to approximate sine shapes. The technique has been improved over the years, but their distortion is still orders of magnitude greater than a good audio signal generator.

They also aren't RF signal generators. The low-Q current-capacitor-comparator timed oscillators are not good for phase noise (or frequency stability) They lack output attenuators to take the signal down to the sensitivity thresholds of radio receivers.

What they are is jacks of all trades. You can do all sorts of modulation, sweeps and things like that. Some will let you simulate a pulse generator, though one with rather slow edges.
They are very versatile in the number of things they can do.

But if you want to work in audio, there are better options than a function generator
And if you want to work in RF, there are better options than a function generator.

Their natural home is on a general electronics bench. They're good for making sweeping waveforms, good fo education.

I do have a func gen, but I've never used it in anger. It comes out when I want to demonstrate different waveforms on a scope.

I last used one in anger as an audio source into a walloping great power amplifier to apply controlled sinewave noise on the 12/24v supply to some avionics gear to check that the gear wasn't perturbed by noisy supplies.

Sorry for being a bit of a downer.

David