View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2020, 4:11 pm   #107
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Brenell Purchases

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Am wondering about the second shorter spring in the attached photos, one end end connects to the mounting pin for the L2 pressure pad arm and the other end connects to a small lug on the pressure pad operating lever.

This spring is not shown in the Series 2 Operating Instructions manual head layout sketch (see attached Fig 1) and does not appear to be fitted to the Mk 5 (Series 1). I am wondering if it is a standard fit on the Series 2 ?

It stops the pressure pad operating lever from relaxing/moving when in Playback mode and maybe puts a little more pressure on the pressure pads on the heads but the long spring seems to apply plenty of pressure on its own even if the shorter spring is not fitted.
The pressure-pad springs’ arrangement also baffled me back in the 1970s, when I got my new “bare” Brennel deck and came to fit the heads - trying to work out the intended spring configuration on a three-head deck. There was no manual provided with the deck (and no internet back then to find one), and it almost seemed as though it was arbitrary, that Brennel hadn’t bothered to work it out, and that they thought it didn’t matter whether the pressure on the pads was doubled or halved by the springs. It was just one of the things that made me think that Brennel had just lost the plot when you compared them with, e.g, the “new” Revox decks. I dropped in at their Islington factory in the early 1970s to get some spares, and definitely got the impression of a tech. company that didn’t know where it was going (at least in its domestic/semi-professional market - which is where I was).

Mike