View Single Post
Old 16th May 2022, 2:47 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Putting RMB on a pedestal

I have been slowly attending to the restoration of a Roberts Mains Battery which I got off eBay for £41. So far so good. I added four 1n4007s to MR2 to boost the LT up to 1.4V, stitched the leather back on to the handle, new flex and repaired an OC pot (see before pics) with graphite varnish. After reassembly and testing just now I found that the reception was still too quiet and there was maybe a bit too much hum so there's more work to do but I was surprised to find a glaring design flaw/feature that the radio sits on the mains cable which comes out of a hole in the bottom of the rear door, either requiring a very very thin flat mains cable or maybe a circular mat or pedestal.

I usually just try to make old things useful again but I'm not sure this model was ever really successfully used on mains. The best I could do off the top of my head would be to change the flex to a flat one and sit it on a couple of round souvenir Jack & Victor coasters but I'd be interested to know how other people approached allowing the turntable to rotate or at least remain level while on mains. It would be a shame to have to modify the original design by cutting into the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6990.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	257282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6993.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	257283   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2699.jpg
Views:	210