View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2022, 10:27 am   #1
hammom02
Triode

Default Dansette HiFi Mk2 smoking amplifier

I recently aquired a Dansette HiFi Mk2 from 1964 via an auction. After unpacking I switched it on and got a continuous buzzing noise and little else (a bit of a smell though and some crackling), so I immediately turned it off and thought it was the usual suspects. I've restored about a dozen Dansettes including a HiFi, so I replaced all of the capacitors including the huge 50+50 can. Switched it on again and the same buzzing. This time I noticed a bit of smoke as the amp warmed up! Switched off and headed for those that know a lot more than me. From a previous thread (https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95222) I'm assuming that it could be a faulty transformer or rectifier (where is the rectifier on this model?). The poster (Caled2013) resolved the issue by replacing the transformer, but there is no indication as to what the spec might be. I have a schematic, but that doesn't say either. This version of the amp has two ECL86 valves (one is the original Mullard, the other is an unbranded 'foreign' made replacement). Any suggestions would be very welcome as I'd love to get this going again. Picture of the amp is attached. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HiFi-Mk2-amp.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	256301