View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 2:09 pm   #11
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi 1400 birthday present

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
So far I have normal hight now but the width has improved but not quite there.The focus is hardly any better.

The other thing I got to do is replace .R142 . Is this valve critical.I have about 5 new old stock 2.2M but on testing they come out at about 1.75 M ,they all read the same when they have 2.2M stamped into them.
Good to hear you are making progress. The mod to the width control (also referred to as the "set Boost HT" control) and the series resistor, is to prevent the original 1MOhm pot from failing. As you are nearly up to 2Meg with the replacement pots you have, that will be a considerable improvement to what is currently fitted (assuming it is a 1Meg pot).

If you still have reduced width and haven't yet replaced the Boost HT reservoir and 405 lines S-correction capacitors - which are almost certainly faulty - they could well be contributing to the insufficient width issue. Lack of width will also affect the Boost HT voltage and the frame output stage.

Another thing to check is whether the line linearity correction sleeve is pushed too far into the scan coils. If it is, this will reduce width and cause overheating in the line output stage.
If the original (red or black) plastic moulding is still attached to the paper sleeve and there is a gap between this and the scan coil's plastic moulding of around 5mm, then leave it alone. At this stage in its life, the line linearity sleeve usually parts company from the plastic part if an attempt to remove/adjust it is made and the sleeve may be stuck to the CRT's neck. You have to slacken the clamp securing the deflection coils before attempting to move the line linearity sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3B3F490-CBC5-48D5-AABE-5113A04BFDD6.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	207224  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 30th May 2020 at 2:38 pm.