View Single Post
Old 24th May 2022, 11:00 pm   #45
nemo_07
Triode

Default Re: 6-gang FM stereo tuner heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
With good resonator design multi-section VHF/FM front ends can be a little narrow for the occupied channel bandwidth in terms of phase flatness. I have one Sony flagship tuner which uses a fast signal from the discriminator to make the RF tuned stages follow the modulated signal, flattening phase variation.
Well, you could certainly achieve impressive figures with it in terms of disrortion in a laboratory setup with one and only FM signal.
However appealing this concept may seem to be, I don't like it. Still more, the idea of appliying it to the front end, instead of the IF strip looks to me like ... a bit funny gimmick.
Let's assume reception in the presence of both adjacent channels, both with slightly higher powers.
Now, every time your RF front end selectivity in chase after carrier approaches the edges of the channel band, the IF strip will see one of the neighbours, saying: "Hello neighbour, we live side by side for some time, and you never stop talking or playing records. But now I am speaking and you better stand back or keep quiet, OK?"
Will it stand back or quieten?

Nonetheless, I would be glad to learn the rationale standing behind it. Can you give me a hint/link?

Adam