View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 9:08 pm   #6
val33vo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: converted 746 GPO office Phone?

As what has already been stated its what the GPO called a plan set, It is a telephone that would have typically been in an office where the main buisiness would have been done but with an external extension connected to it, so at night the ( subscriber ) could push a button on the front of it and transfer all the incoming calls to the external extension the other buttons allowed signalling between the main phone and external extension so the system could be used like an intercom if desired

The main problems with this type of telephone was the sliding contacts that lay beneath the push buttons and the stand alone transistor ringer

I well remember getting a right case of GBH in the right earhole when I was in the process of cleaning and lubricating them despite warning the subscriber his phone system would be out of order for 20 minutes or so, I had it in bits and the local buisiness man had an incoming call which he could not answer, ironically it eventually turned out to be a customer cancelling an order

( always look on the bright side of life )

regards

val33vo