View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:54 pm   #56
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post

I should also say that I will have to back out of offering to simulate the swinging choke version of any psu. I've actually done a bunch of such simulations, but I then spoke to the designer of the PSUD2 simulation software, and he pointed out that simulating a swinging choke is actually vastly more complex than his simple software package will allow for.

Richard

It does sound like a challenging problem to come up with a suitable model for a swinging choke to plug into a simulator.

In practical terms you can simulate a psu at min output current to determine what inductance is required to keep the rectifier current continuous then go again at the max output current to see how low it can drop before rectifier current again becomes discontinuous. It's then a problem for the choke designer to come up with the cheapest way of meeting or exceeding these limits!

Historically, someone somewhere will have published useful tables for just this either derived analytically or empirically but if you weren't in the business back then and know where to look for the information simulation can be your get out of jail free card
.........O..Chris....O