View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2020, 9:28 am   #47
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: R1155 Modern Power Supply

One further comment I would make on a R1155 power supply is that I am aware that most of the designs put forward in the past have not bothered at all with voltage stability. The standard C-L-C filter - or more often C-R-C filter - has been used as entirely adequate for the job. So why go to the bother of the L-C-L-C design in the original, or the simpler L-C design I used?

The answer can only be that voltage stability is actually rather important. So then, why do R1155 users not report problems with voltage stability - or in fact the secondary effect of it - namely chronic receiver drift, due to the HT voltage on the local oscillator varying?

I think the answer to that is that virtually all users (since the end of WWII!) have not used the R1155 as originally intended - that is with the DF circuits in and out of use. Its been used in a very simple way - just as a communications tool (I'm not knocking that of course!) And in that mode, the current drawn from the supply is pretty stable around the 70 - 75mA mark.

Its only when other modes are selected, that other valves come into play and of course, the HT current will change - notably upwards - nearer to that 110mA limit. And of course, the last thing you need when changing mode - is the receiver drifting off the signal being monitored!

Horses for courses come to mind.....

Richard