View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2016, 4:58 pm   #31
Steph1997
Triode

Default Re: Mercury Arc Rectifier? Where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Although I shouldn't, in this age of PC and non compartmentalising, I just can't help but find it astonishing that a 20 YO female could be so fascinated by such a thing as a MAR!! I doubt that more than a fraction of a percent of the whole UK population would even know that such a thing ever existed, let alone actually want one!
Don't misunderstand me though Steph, I'm not criticising, far from it, I think it's also amazing and really hope that you satisfy your wish to find one.
There was a really impressive example in the Birmingham Science museum many years ago, which was an actually functioning display. The museum has since relocated though, to a swanky, purpose built 'experience' centre, which I haven't visited due to the extortionate entry fee now imposed
Haha I know it's a bizarre thing to be untreated in at 20, any everyone looks at me gone out when I try and explain the purpose of one to then so it's nice to have found a forum with people who know about them and can possibly help! I've been obsessed for ages sinces I saw a few in a museum, so I'm on a mission to have my own and maybe one day it can be in a museum for people to admire once I'm older and another 20 year old will have the same asperations!

I'm yet to see the one in Birmingham but it's not far away so I shall go and visit on my journeys!