View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2020, 3:07 am   #2020
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

I'm used to plasma sound.

I have a function generator which can generate DC or sine or squarewaves of variable frequency and mark:space ratio, which modulates several kW of plasma. It's rather satisfying from a vintage radio point of view in that the plasma is generated from a thoriated tungsten electrode - water-cooled, no less. 210 Amps with the waa-waa pedal floored.

It can go quite loud.

It just doesn't sound good at all. A loud barking sound. squarewave much worse than sine.

It's a bit bright. Not only do you need the ultimate in peril sensitive sunglasses, you can't leave any skin exposed to the UV.

It's made a nice tubular steel hifi rack and a fancy aluminium swing-down bracket
arrangement for the antenna mast on the house.

The hefty mains cable would make an audiophile very happy indeed and you need something a bit better than an ordinary 13A plug if you wish to turn it up to 210 (199 more than spinal tap)

I think I read that some plasma tweeters needed a supply of bottled gas. Argon isn't safe in an enclosed space without good ventilation.

David