View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 11:58 pm   #28
SwanseaSteve
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials in 2013

Even here in Swansea, a South Wales coastal town famous for its wild weather off the sea, I do know of a couple of Band I aerial installations still standing. No sign of any coax leading to them though - I imagine that the constant flapping in the breeze has done for the cables by way of metal fatigue long ago.

Worth keeping in mind that there might be a number of Band III aerials on roofs there days for the purpose of receiving DAB radio. In many cases, these might even be pointing at the same masts as Band III television aerials once did! I suppose the differences that give the game away would be that the DAB aerials are shinier, and do have coax cables attached.

Apart from that, they're going to look identical (though they're actually very slightly smaller that an old 405-line channel B13 aerial). DAB is transmitted on channels whose numbers are based on the European 7-MHz system B channel numbering, and here in the UK we seem to be mostly using channels E11 and E12 (216 - 230MHz) for the job.
SwanseaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote