Thread: Matsui saved...
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2020, 2:26 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Matsui saved...

As a follow up to this thread. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160228
I thought I would post the conclusion. I put the set to one side as it looked to have had very little use and I thought it was too good to put it back in a skip.
I sneaked it into my elderly parents garage to save hauling it into my loft and promised it would not be there for ever as my mum does not share my affection for "old junk"..

My father passed away recently and my mother has been asking me to clear some of the stuff in the garage which dad kept that she doesn't want (which included a very nice car!)
During the time the set had been in the garage I had found a scrap set in the bins soaking wet and broken I had salvaged the scancoils with a plan in mind, so I took the Matsui home and took it apart.
Then I spotted a problem. The Matsui has a mini neck tube the salvaged coils were standard .
I could see that at some point condensation had run down the cone of the tube and there were some green solidified drips on the bottom of the tube.
I gently released the convergence magnet assembly noting it's position and removed the coils.
I found two small spots of green corrosion, one cleaned off with no apparent damage, the other had corroded through the wire.
I cleaned the ends of the wire and re-soldered it using a small piece of wire so I could extend it slightly and move it away from the other windings.
Then I loosely refitted the coils and tried the set.
Success ! Gone was the distorted raster!
So I removed the coils and insulated my repair with two pack glue, I also ran a little over the other area where the corrosion had cleaned off in case there had been any damage to the enamel insulation.
I have so far refitted the coils and run the set for an hour, so far so good.
Next job is to get my crosshatch generator on it and check the convergence

Rich
P.S The black bar at the bottom and the tinted strip at the top are due to the camera and are not visible on the raster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_115343.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	209814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_120018.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	209815   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_120522.jpg
Views:	225