View Single Post
Old 12th May 2020, 12:28 pm   #1
veedub565
Tetrode

Default Question about Telex

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in this forum or the military radio forum. It is Telecoms/Telex related though, so here goes.

I have a HF radio set (Plessey TRP8255) and I want to try and use it for data communications. The set can be remote controlled via RS232 which is fine. I can just hook it up to the PC serial port.

It also has the following connections available:
  • Telex In (600 ohms audio input, TELEX mode)
  • Ground
  • Aux In (600 ohms audio input, USB,LSB, AM, R3E modes)
  • Ground
  • Line Out (600 ohms audio output)
  • Ground

It has an (optional) Line Transformer Board fitted providing a balanced input/output.

Would I be right in thinking that these audio lines should go to the Line in/out of the soundcard on the PC ?

To start with I want to have a go at some basic RTTY and learn, but in future it would be nice to set it up with a proper vintage period dumb terminal and/or teleprinter machine. Just for the satisfaction of making it work and having it physically print something out upon receipt of some data.

I don't know if telex/teleprinter machines work that way with 600 ohm audio lines ? Also as I understand it (and I may be wrong) Telex is purely on a dumb terminal, and Teleprinter is like a typewriter keyboard with a printer. Sometimes you get both combined a la' BT Cheatah 87C

Please set me straight if I'm wrong on all this, it seems a fascinating thing to get into but I'm just really learning about it at the moment.

Ben