View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2020, 10:31 pm   #57
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: ATU vs. Preamp vs. Active Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG3XYV View Post
He makes the point that you only need the last word in loop construction (low inductance etc) if you have the good fortune to live in a very low noise, rural location.
That's very interesting; I do live in the sticks, but we have overhead telephone lines carrying broadband and overhead power cables too. In the past, my Wellgood magloop was better than my horizontal wires (of various kinds). But I recently cut down some trees which created the space to put up an Inverted Vee for 80m and that aerial is outperforming the magloop (same noise level, better signal level) on that band.

However, as the magloop could be rotated, it still has potential, but I do need to squeeze everything I can from it for it to compete better against the Vee. If I recall, LZ1AQ suggests that magloops will perform better at height, which is not a universally agreed issue, though I personally suspect he's right and mine could be higher.

B